Sadly, it's been awhile since we did anything adoption related. Today was a good reminder that we really are doing this and it's not (prayers prayed daily) going to fall apart.
Today was the much anticipated fingerprint appointment for the Department of Homeland Security. We submitted our I-600A back in February and have been waiting since then. I read the letter they sent me numerous times checking to make sure I had the date and time correct and checking to see that I handed in all the necessary papers. We get there and I hand the paper I received to the lady as well as our IDs. She says "where is your appointment slip?" Ummm What? My heart dropped because I had no idea what she was asking me. I brought her all I received, which turns out to be our receipt. Ugh.
Crisis averted. We were on the list and the ladies let us get our prints taken. Where did our appointment slip end up...
Good news! It seems like travel for trip one in our region is going again. Us and a family from Massachusetts are next in line and were asked to travel on July 19. Well, we actually asked her if we could travel later. Sounds crazy, I know, but we want to get everything set with our new referral before going. Plus how many things can one family do in the span of a week? We are also moving and closing on our house. We have been a bit jaded by these trip one travel dates. As you know we already got excited and let down twice. Part of us just wants someone else to "go first" so we can see that it really is actually working. Is that selfish? I'm sorry.
Hi Trisha, It's amazing how agencies do things differently. Are you traveling blind? Congrats on getting travel dates again!
ReplyDeleteNo, not traveling blind. Our first referral was adopted by a Russian family. We received another referral, and sadly our doctor said he had a lot of possible medical issues. Maybe too many for us. Yesterday, we received a new referral, which we have passed on to our IA doctor. We are waiting to see what he thinks... Our caseworker wants us to travel in July under the previous referral (one we turned down) and then when we are there ask to see another child (possibly our new referral) Well that just seems a bit too risky. We would rather wait a month or two and have it be "more official" Yes, it is amazing how different agencies are. We are with adoption ark. Who are you using?
ReplyDeletewow, insane, that does seem risky, even though I am chomping at the bit, I think your approach seems the best idea, I think I would wait for the offical invitation also. What region are you going too?
ReplyDeleteYeah, risky is a good word. Plus she said it may make the trip take a few more days but she didn't know. That sounds a little tricky with airline tickets and such. We are going to Kemerovo. You?
ReplyDeleteDon't know, we are not assigned yet, but our Agency does work with that region. Who knows!
ReplyDelete