Wednesday, August 22

rashy

There were a few blissful weeks, two to be exact.  I stopped throwing up, I was rested and happy after vacation, and things were well with the babe at the week 20 check up.  At said 20 week check up I had a very small patch of itchy skin on my jaw line.  I mentioned it to the doctor, because I was there, she said I could take benadrly  if I found it necessary.  Got it.  That was a Monday.

Tuesday, rash moves to neck & chest
Wednesday, pain and intense itching increase
Thursday, rash moves to hips, very painful, can't stand it, call the doctor.

OB says see my general practitioner, his office can't take me and I can't wait, get sent to urgent care.  Urgent care diagnoses me with, wait for it....a rash.  Pretty sure I knew that, pretty sure even Oliver knew that.  They give me a script for a steroid cream.

Friday, the pain is out of control, it hurts to exist, my stomach is solid red and hot, everything itches, and it's moving down my legs and arms.  Plus the steroid cream seems to have made it worse, feels like a chemical burn.  Forget about sleeping, or sitting, or moving in general.

By Monday I hadn't slept in a few days and demanded an appointment with my OB.  She didn't know what it was, but wrote a script for a high powered allergy medication that might take the itching down and help me sleep, she requested I come back Thursday to check in.  The medication did help me sleep, but it didn't do anything else.  Drug myself back in on Thursday, no improvement, a new script for oral steroids. 

Let's pause for a second.  That's three prescriptions over the course of a week and a half.  That's more prescriptions then I've been on in the last 10 years.  I don't get sick.  I rarely take any medication.  I've actually got a fairly high pain tolerance.  Being pregnant makes me want to take any medication even less, you just never know.  But I couldn't stand it, my body was on fire and itching like crazy, so I said yes to the steroids.  They are the strongest medication I've ever been on.

WoW! Steroids are amazing.  I was warned they could make me moody, and have some crazy dreams.  I was nervous but being crazy actually sounded better then what I was enduring.  Well for me, they were amazing.  My energy level went through the roof.  I painted the baby's room, refinished baby's dresser, hung curtains, cleaned my house like a crazy woman, all while my rash slowly vanished.  Now I'm almost to the end of the dose and I'm nervous that when the medication is finished the rash is going to come back.  My doctor thinks it could be a allergic reaction to something, but since I don't know what, I might still be doing it....let's hope not.  Let's log a couple more weeks before something else happens. 

2 comments:

  1. I had an itchy rash all over my stomach when I was pregnant. It drove me a little crazy, and I would end up with bruises from itching. No fun, I really hope yours is gone for good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh you poor thing! That's dreadful, a plague actually.
    Oddly, I got the drive me insane itches FROM taking a steroid (asthma) when we returned from trip 2. I treated myself for scabies, headlice and bedbugs AT THE SAME time. I was convinced we got all 3 while there. Itching will make you nuttier than a fruitcake.

    ReplyDelete