Wednesday, August 24

speech part two

The folks from infant & toddler services came out to check Oliver's development.  Turns out he is awesome or a "rock star" as the caseworker said.  Both women were impressed with his ability to say "airplane" and a bunch of other vehicle names, his walking style, and his skills at putting train tracks together.  I didn't even take them out to see his trapeze skills, it would just be bragging at that point. 

When compared to biological kids his age he is about 3-4 months behind with language skills, when compared to internationally adopted kids his age he is above average, and does not qualify for services.  However, if we don't start hearing him say sounds at the ends of his words in the next few months we need to call them back for possible articulation services.    

When we first got home from Russia our agency contacted me and asked if I would write a success story for their website.  Of course.  I would write for anyone who asked me to.  Oliver's changes started so quickly after leaving the orphanage that I compared it to waking from hibernation.  Those sleeping bears are alive, just not doing much.  It was all brought back to the forefront today when the caseworker was questioning me about Oliver's changes over the past six months.  It really is amazing, and there are still hundreds of thousands of children in "hibernation" waiting for their turn to amaze you.  If you're considering, just do it.  

-------
As a reward for being such a rock star Oliver was treated to cheesy polenta with spinach and carrots for lunch.  We found it at our new Trader Joe's store and it's pretty much awesome, and a great way to get Oliver to eat his spinach. 

  

2 comments:

  1. great news! I just knew that he was a rockstar! p.s. We got our first TJ's flyer in the mail and I noticed the cheesy polenta and thought that the kids would love it. Thanks fo rthe reocmmendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading posts like this! I so wish we had a Trader Joes closer to our house.

    ReplyDelete