Monday, July 2

Po' Boy

I subscribe to Cooking Light.  It's not strange light cooking, nothing weird to hard to find, no fake sugar (I despise sugar substitutes), and rarely do they use "light" ingredients.  It's just real food, and that's pretty awesome. 

In a recent issue they took on lightening up a Shrimp Po' Boy.  I've never been to New Orleans or Alabama, or Mississippi, so I suppose I've never had a "real" one.  However, I've made this one twice and I think it's amazing!  Really really good. 

It's basically 3 parts
-slaw
-shrimp (will need to marinate for 30 minutes)
-roll

Slaw ingredients
 3 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon diced onion
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon horseradish 
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1 garlic clove, minced 
2 cups of packages coleslaw

-Throw everything but the slaw into a bowl and mix.  Toss the slaw in at the end.  Refrigerate. 

slaw


ingredients for the shrimp and roll 


1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 large egg white
1 pound of medium raw shrimp peeled and deveined

-Toss everything together in a bowl and marinade in the fridge for 30 minutes


marinating shrimp 

Breading for the shrimp
4 slices of your french baguette (2 1/2 ounces)
3 tablespoons of stone ground cornmeal
Some fresh ground pepper

-Turn your bread slices into bread crumbs, I use a food processor, and dump in a bowl
-Add the cornmeal and pepper
-Toss the shrimp to cover






-Heat some oil up in a saute pan
-Drop the breaded shrimp into the oil and cook until golden on each sise


French baguette cut to your desired serving size and toasted (if you like toasty bread)
We used some rolls this time.  Whatever makes ya happy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment