![]() |
| really? |
I keep seeing these signs popping up on Pinterest and Facebook and they annoy me every time. I want to have a clean house AND a happy kid and I kinda think that kids actually like living in a clean semi organized space. When Oliver gets too many toys out in his toy room, he will stop going in there until we put everything away and "reboot."
I think the sign is implying that happy kids have mommies that play with them and aren't all consumed with housework. True. I spend a lot of time with Oliver. We read stories, we build stuff, when it's under 90 million degrees (rare) we play outside, and we also clean together. After all, doesn't your daughter want a husband that knows how to separate laundry and work a vacuum? Shouldn't a three year old be able to play on their own for 20 minutes while I clean out some science experiment growing in my fridge? I actually really love listening to him play alone, being all chatty with his trains.
Is the sign trying to make me feel guilty for having a clean house? Or is it trying to give others validation for having a messy one? In either case I'm quite sure being a "good mom" is way more complicated. Like way complicated.
P.S. I put up a little poll on the top right side of the page. Get your vote in. Is baby #2 going to be a girl or a boy?
P.S. I put up a little poll on the top right side of the page. Get your vote in. Is baby #2 going to be a girl or a boy?

Just my intrepretion of it, but I take it as it is more important to spend the time with the kiddos rather than constantly cleaning, etc. i.e. my sis-in-law never eats dinner with her family because she HAS to do the dishes, she can't handle it. Did it while she was here visiting. Where as I usually leave dishes until kids are in bed. I love them playing on their own, but love playing with also. Kinda the best of both worlds. I think you have the idea though!
ReplyDeleteAmen. I don't like those signs either.
ReplyDeleteI agree!
DeleteI don't know you personally, but from what I've read, I think you are a great mom because you let Oliver explore and play while also learning boundaries, rules and how to clean! I wish my hubby would've had a mom who taught him the last one - how to clean! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteGiggle! I just stumbled on your blog and couldn't agree with you more. In my house the time I spend picking up, putting dishes away or even vacuuming and dusting isn't a mystery. I think it's important that they get the time to play on their own, as well. Nothing lost if Mommy is happy rather than a bit twitchy about a messy house...at least for me. :D May be my son will begin to emulate the picking up thing...he's 8 and hasn't done it yet so I suspect I am out of luck on that one. :D
ReplyDeleteAmen!!! I hate a messy house, too. But, because I work outside of the home, AND Aidan has an insane sports schedule it become complicated. . .so I hired a lady to clean for me each week. We still do some cleaning as a family-straightening, laundry and cleaning the Rec Room together, but the main part of the house is done by a cleaning lady. . .gives me loads of time to spend with my kiddo and to be the chauffeur to hockey and football!! : )
ReplyDeleteHOORAY! Every time I see this I get annoyed as well. I TOTALLY agree with you on all points. I like my house clean, and I like places I visit to be tidy. I get itchy when it's messy, anywhere. I don't think that anyone really enjoys a mess.
ReplyDeleteMy girls have been doing their own laundry since they were 5. Because we did it together. That's how they learn. How very Montessori of us :)
We have help with cleaning. So I don't feel that I can judge others. But when the girls were young, I didn't have help. And my house was tidy then too.
How do the people who embrace these signs expect their kids to know HOW to clean or even how to entertain themselves, if they never experience it?
I guess you better not come to my house. I do clean my house. My children help and we do clean the entire house every week. But if messiness anywhere makes you itchy, you might not like it here!:) I homeschool my 5 children and there are most certainly times that I have sticky floors and a dirty oven!
DeleteMessy doesn't make me itchy! However, the pollen outside is doing a number on me. UGH.
Delete