Friday, May 11

I'm mom enough, you are too

You're living in a cave, or some hole in the ground if you haven't already seen the Time magazine cover of the mom nursing her almost 4 year old.  Missed it?  Google can help.  The caption on the cover is "Are You Mom Enough?"  Implying, in my mind, that if you cared enough you would be nursing your child as long as they are interested in nursing. 


I've read a lot of negative commentary about the article "gross"  "unnatural" "what is she doing to her kid?"  "oh my stars"  and on and on.  I've got nothing against breastfeeding.  For obvious reasons I couldn't with my kid, but to each his own.... I mean we are not talking about abuse here, so what do you care.  You don't need to care what someone is doing with their child, unless they ask you for your opinion.


 What rubs me the wrong was is "Are You Mom Enough?"  As to somehow imply that she is a better mother than I am because she nurses her kid and I didn't/couldn't.  The Time cover and caption was brilliant.  They got the reaction they wanted and every mother under the sun is chatting about it. 


 Here is how mommy I am...

I'm mom enough to let my kid play and explore
I'm mom enough to let my kid chop and cook
I'm mom enough to let him throw rocks into the pond for as long as he wants
I'm mom enough to live in Russia, for a month, in the winter, mostly in Siberia
I'm mom enough to love a kid who didn't start out as mine
I'm mom enough to realize that I'm no better than any other mom, just different
I'm also mom enough to realize that not everyday is my best, I'm Trisha and I'm a mom in progress



Instead of criticizing other moms let's just focus on our own awesome momness.  Do share your awesome....



8 comments:

  1. You are certainly mom enough, and then some! I have been following your blog for a while now, and hope to have a similar relationship with my son. Thanks for being an inspiration and role model (of course it probably helps that Oliver is a great boy too)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, in spite of the inflammatory cover, the article is not about breast feeding. It is about Attachment Parenting. Something I, as an adoptive Mom, am very interested in. I agree that breast feeding our children was not really an option because of our situations, but creating an attachment environment very much is. The article itself is not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are mom to scare the crap out of me at the edge of a cliff in a Missouri state park :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your post and I agree they shocked with the cover and now we talk. And amazingly enough, despite this cover, we as adoptive parents probably more than anyone, focus on forms of attachment parenting since we weren't there from day one. But I believe what makes me mom enough are very similiar to yours. I played along and am posting them on my blog :-)

    Happy Mothers Day Trisha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good challenge, I have been composing a post all day for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Not sure why, but it made me a bit teary. I just <3 your little O.

    I have to say that my favorite post on this subject is Rage Against the Minivan's. Not that I don't totally love every one of your posts! Did you get a chance to read it? If not, check it out.

    And i can totally identify with the Living in SIberia in the winter. Holy crap are we Mamas something or what?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry,
    I did read the Rage Against the Minivan post. Of course, I totally agree with what she is saying. It is imperative that every child have a mommy to fight the good fight on their behalf.

    ReplyDelete