Saturday, September 17

creepy

A while back Oliver and I were picking up some paint at Lowe's.  While the paint was mixing we walked out to the garden center because Oliver LOVES looking at the water fountains.   Actually, he hates looking at them and LOVES trying to climb out of the cart so he can get in them.  Anyway, we walk back into the store to go get our paint.  To get back to the paint department we have to walk past some Halloween displays.  Not displays like harmless little smiley face pumpkins or little paper bats flying overhead.  No, Lowe's has a giant, creepy, raised from the dead, light up, scary voiced, head moving, arms going, weird guy that starts doing its thing when we walk past.  Oliver is scared.  Not crying scared.  More scared.  So scared he can't cry and is just shaking trying to get out of the cart an into my arms.  Its not like I stopped in front of the creepy.  At this point we are yards away.  He finally gets a screaming cry out as he strangles my neck.  I say "wow, that's creepy, but it's okay."  He stops crying and shaking, gets back in his cart and says "creepy" as he points back at creepy raised from the dead man. 
Previous to this episode we had very little run ins with things being scary.  There was a time in Moscow when Oliver discovered shadows in the kitchen and was totally afraid to go in there.  He overcame it because his love of food was greater.  But now he knows the word creepy and loves to talk about everything that he finds creepy.
Tonight, like most, I'm laying next to him in his bed chatting about the day.  It's dark in his room, he doesn't have a nightlight.  Nightlights actually scare me.  I hate light in the night and have no idea how any one could sleep under those conditions.  Then, there is always that glow from the smoke detector.  When I see it on in the night I think space aliens are coming for me.  I don't need the light on to let me know it's working, just have it make some sort of indication when it's not.  I cover that light with tape.  Wow, that was a tangent.  So tonight I'm laying with Oliver and he keeps saying "creepy, creepy, creepy."  I ask him what he thinks is creepy, he points, I reach and feel that his finger is pointing at his smoke detector.  I knew I couldn't be the only one!  I told him, "yeah, a little bit creepy...I'll fix that for you in the morning"  Then he says "little bit...creepy"


No comments:

Post a Comment