My first Christmas as a wife, 2006. Jim gets me; The Joy of Cooking, Martha Stewart's Guide to Housekeeping, and some workout DVDs....ouch. Thoughts racing though my head; "what have I gotten myself into" "is this what it's like" "I have to cook and clean and look hot doing it" "oh no he didn't" Conversations were had, rules were created, and that hasn't been repeated...though gift giving still isn't his best.
I will, however, admit that The Joy of Cooking is an awesome cookbook. It's not fancy, no color, no photos, just a few sketches. But it contains everything. Really. About a year ago Jim was bugging me to make Pad Thai and I finally said "if you find it in the Joy, I'll make it"
It's the best Pad Thai (it's even gluten free if you use a GF soy sauce) Well I haven't been to Thailand, and the only Asian county I've visited is Russia, but it's the best Pad Thai I've had here in America, so far. I wouldn't say it's easy, but it isn't too hard, and once you make it a couple times it becomes simpler.
Read the whole thing a few times before you start cooking. Prep everything first. Then feel all cooking show host as you dump and stir fry like a pro.
I will, however, admit that The Joy of Cooking is an awesome cookbook. It's not fancy, no color, no photos, just a few sketches. But it contains everything. Really. About a year ago Jim was bugging me to make Pad Thai and I finally said "if you find it in the Joy, I'll make it"
It's the best Pad Thai (it's even gluten free if you use a GF soy sauce) Well I haven't been to Thailand, and the only Asian county I've visited is Russia, but it's the best Pad Thai I've had here in America, so far. I wouldn't say it's easy, but it isn't too hard, and once you make it a couple times it becomes simpler.
Read the whole thing a few times before you start cooking. Prep everything first. Then feel all cooking show host as you dump and stir fry like a pro.
Could use whatever meat (protein source) you want, I make this with chicken, but shrimp or tofu would be just as good.
ingredients
- 6 oz rice stick noodles
- 1 t. cornstarch
- 1 t. toasted sesame oil
- 8oz protein source (tofu, chicken, shrimp)
- 2 T. Thai fish sauce (I use 1T. of fish sauce, too fishy)
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice (I use lime)
- 3 T. sugar
- 5 T. peanut oil
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 to 2 small green chiles, seeded and chopped (I use 1 jalapeno)
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup peanuts chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil cut into strips
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (I skip it because I love basil so much more)
- 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
- Lime wedges
directions
- 1. Bring a pan of water to a boil, remove from heat, add rice noodles soak for 20 minutes then drain and set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl stir together cornstarch, sesame oil, then add protein source and toss to coat. Marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl mix together Thai fish sauce, soy sauce, lemon/lime juice, sugar.
- 4. Heat wok or skillet over high heat, add about 1 T. peanut oil, swirl. Add protein source and stir fry (tofu: about 10 minutes, shrimp: 30-40 seconds, chicken: 1-2 minutes). Remove protein source to a plate.
- 5. Reheat wok or skillet on high heat, add more peanut oil, then slowly pour beaten eggs into the pan and cook, stirring vigorously, until set. Remove to a plate.
- 6. Reheat wok or skillet on high heat, add more peanut oil, add scallions, chiles, and garlic stir-fry until the garlic browns very slightly.
- 7. Add noodles to wok/skillet and stir until well coated. Add the fish sauce mixture and stir well, then add protein source and eggs, stir well.
- 8. Finally add sprouts, peanuts, basil, cilantro and red pepper flakes.
- 9. Garnish a serving with lime wedges.
Serve with extra peanuts and red pepper flakes
Sorry no photo. Just picture all those ingredients mixed up in a bowl....yum.
Funny! I got a waffle iron (which I did NOT ask for) and an envelope full of cash for my 30th birthday! I'll be forty this year and my husband still catches flack for it!
ReplyDeleteI know about those gifts. I got a Shop Vac for Mother's Day last year.
ReplyDeleteI got a skillet for my first Christmas as a wife! AH NO. Well, YES I did. Never again...I threatened to hit him over the head with it!
ReplyDeleteWow...I've faired much better than the average it seems, but somehow I always managed to take my gifts back and use the money on something for "us." He eventually started asking for a specific list and now gift giving isn't fun! I think I've scarred him for life. ;(
ReplyDelete