It's official at 33 months of age Oliver is beginning to tattle. He is recognizing when he has been wronged and trying to get help with it, or something like that. Emphasis on trying. Let's look at a few examples.
Church nursery-I'm volunteering in Oliver's room
Oliver- "Oliver smash me in the head with the car"
Me - You are Oliver, was it Mike (made up name) that smashed you with the car
Oliver - "Yes, Mike smash me"
At work
Oliver- "Oliver knock me down"
Me- You are Oliver, was it Wesley that knocked you over
Oliver- "Wesley knocked me over"
Anyone else have a kid trying to tattle, that just ends up tattling on themselves? Hilarious.
-----
His vocabulary stuns me. I'm constantly amazed at what comes out of his mouth. I'd say he is still slightly behind an average home-grown of his age, but doing really great.
"Mama, peas pass me another orange slice, peas" I just love the double please, and where did you learn the word another?
In the car the other day he just started saying "k-love.com, k-love.com" I guess they do listen to the radio...good thing it's on k-love
Oliver- "I want the window down, peas"
Me - it's not nice to say I want, say can you please put the window down
Oliver- "Don't say I want. Peas I have the window down peas mama peas?"
"Mama, the pillow broken" That's what he says when the case starts falling off. He likes to hold the corner of the pillow at night and gets annoyed when it's broken.
But, the most mastered, most used, most treasured of all his sentences is "I do it all by my my self" Yes, it comes with a double my. There is nothing he can't do all by him himself, you know, in his mind. He is starting to dress himself and even managed to zip a sweater yesterday.
------
Oliver is obsessed with going to preschool, and that's how I like it!! Well he is obsessed with the idea of going to preschool, he hasn't actually been, with the exception of the tour we took. During the tour he saw; a water fountain, trains, books, and the outside...so preschool might as well be heaven. He even recognizes when we drive by it and on a bad day will start crying and yelling "I go preschool, I go preschool" He even cries when we drive past the elementary school and he hasn't even been inside that place. May it last for years and years and years to come.
------
While at a friend's place the other weekend (hey michelle) I discovered that two year olds use kid toothpaste and not baby toothpaste. Hmmmm, hadn't thought of that. Michelle also informed me that the electric toothbrush does a way better job. Feeling convicted to up Oliver's oral hygiene we hit the Target, I'll take any excuse to go there. Oliver found an electric Thomas toothbrush that he couldn't live with out and I found some Tom's of Maine, no artificial anything toothpaste to go with it...that kid's glitter sparkle toothpaste freaks me out. So we've got the goods now we need the skills, namely spitting. Have you ever tried to teach a water obsessed kid how to spit water out? Spitting out water goes against everything Oliver believes in. Water is his love. He tries to drink from the faucet when he washes his hands, he finds forlorn cups on the table to drink from, and he even tries to drink from puddles. I'm not proud of these things, just stating the facts. I figure you need to learn to spit water before you can spit the toothpaste.
Night One
I show him how I can put water in my mouth and spit it out. I repeat put water in, spit out, a bunch of times. I show him how I use this special toothpaste that can't go down (be swallowed). Scrub, scrub, spit. More water spitting. Oliver's turn. He sips the water, swallows it, then makes a spitting noise, smart, but no. We try a few times, no no spitting. I say I'm sorry but you can't use your new toothbrush until you can spit. Baby toothbrush and toothpaste.
Day two, Night two
-Wake up, watch mama repeat the water spitting tooth brushing steps mentioned above.
-No luck
-Model again at nap time, got a little water out of his mouth, and he is getting a little sad about not being able to use the new toothbrush.
-Bed time, more modeling spitting and brushing. We have liftoff! Oliver finally spits the water out. Small dab of our all natural toothpaste on our awesome electric Thomas toothbrush and we are brushing and spitting like the best of them. May he not consider spitting at any other time.....
Church nursery-I'm volunteering in Oliver's room
Oliver- "Oliver smash me in the head with the car"
Me - You are Oliver, was it Mike (made up name) that smashed you with the car
Oliver - "Yes, Mike smash me"
At work
Oliver- "Oliver knock me down"
Me- You are Oliver, was it Wesley that knocked you over
Oliver- "Wesley knocked me over"
Anyone else have a kid trying to tattle, that just ends up tattling on themselves? Hilarious.
-----
His vocabulary stuns me. I'm constantly amazed at what comes out of his mouth. I'd say he is still slightly behind an average home-grown of his age, but doing really great.
"Mama, peas pass me another orange slice, peas" I just love the double please, and where did you learn the word another?
In the car the other day he just started saying "k-love.com, k-love.com" I guess they do listen to the radio...good thing it's on k-love
Oliver- "I want the window down, peas"
Me - it's not nice to say I want, say can you please put the window down
Oliver- "Don't say I want. Peas I have the window down peas mama peas?"
"Mama, the pillow broken" That's what he says when the case starts falling off. He likes to hold the corner of the pillow at night and gets annoyed when it's broken.
But, the most mastered, most used, most treasured of all his sentences is "I do it all by my my self" Yes, it comes with a double my. There is nothing he can't do all by him himself, you know, in his mind. He is starting to dress himself and even managed to zip a sweater yesterday.
------
Oliver is obsessed with going to preschool, and that's how I like it!! Well he is obsessed with the idea of going to preschool, he hasn't actually been, with the exception of the tour we took. During the tour he saw; a water fountain, trains, books, and the outside...so preschool might as well be heaven. He even recognizes when we drive by it and on a bad day will start crying and yelling "I go preschool, I go preschool" He even cries when we drive past the elementary school and he hasn't even been inside that place. May it last for years and years and years to come.
------
While at a friend's place the other weekend (hey michelle) I discovered that two year olds use kid toothpaste and not baby toothpaste. Hmmmm, hadn't thought of that. Michelle also informed me that the electric toothbrush does a way better job. Feeling convicted to up Oliver's oral hygiene we hit the Target, I'll take any excuse to go there. Oliver found an electric Thomas toothbrush that he couldn't live with out and I found some Tom's of Maine, no artificial anything toothpaste to go with it...that kid's glitter sparkle toothpaste freaks me out. So we've got the goods now we need the skills, namely spitting. Have you ever tried to teach a water obsessed kid how to spit water out? Spitting out water goes against everything Oliver believes in. Water is his love. He tries to drink from the faucet when he washes his hands, he finds forlorn cups on the table to drink from, and he even tries to drink from puddles. I'm not proud of these things, just stating the facts. I figure you need to learn to spit water before you can spit the toothpaste.
Night One
I show him how I can put water in my mouth and spit it out. I repeat put water in, spit out, a bunch of times. I show him how I use this special toothpaste that can't go down (be swallowed). Scrub, scrub, spit. More water spitting. Oliver's turn. He sips the water, swallows it, then makes a spitting noise, smart, but no. We try a few times, no no spitting. I say I'm sorry but you can't use your new toothbrush until you can spit. Baby toothbrush and toothpaste.
Day two, Night two
-Wake up, watch mama repeat the water spitting tooth brushing steps mentioned above.
-No luck
-Model again at nap time, got a little water out of his mouth, and he is getting a little sad about not being able to use the new toothbrush.
-Bed time, more modeling spitting and brushing. We have liftoff! Oliver finally spits the water out. Small dab of our all natural toothpaste on our awesome electric Thomas toothbrush and we are brushing and spitting like the best of them. May he not consider spitting at any other time.....
He is so funny!!!
ReplyDeleteWe started Grace on regular toothpaste when the dentist told me to around 2 1/2. I questioned her swallowing it and he said that you use half a pea size and it's fine if it gets swallowed. Grace, who also has a love of water (and puddles:) did learn to spit, but I felt better knowing that there are always going to be times that she swallows it.