Monday, March 12

builder grade mirror, upgrade!

It's totally my favorite when you read a DIY project tutorial and it says all the things you want it to say like "so easy anyone could do it" (if they have 100 tools and a DIY minded husband) or "it only took me 30 minutes" (LIE).  I don't have 100,000 tools and my husband broke his DIY bone, or lost it, or never had it.  What I've got are builder grade mirrors and limited skills.  GO! 

Builder grade mirrors = awesome amount of viewing space, with a limited amount of character.  Here is my attempt at keeping the viewing space and increasing the character.  My pinspiration can be found right here.  I picked this particular tutorial because it didn't require the use of a miter box to create perfect angles, just rectangles...I know rectangles, I don't own a miter box.  

At first I intended to follow the tutorial to the T.  Adding all the trim and crown that she did, but I actually preferred it plain and plain costs less $$, bonus.  The mirrors in our bathroom are supported by glue and also by some thin metal clips.  I ignored the metal clips and hung this trim right over them, it worked just fine.  I really believe this is so easy anyone could do it, no really, anyone.  

Here is what I needed
-1" x 3 1/2"  MDF primed trim (I needed one 12' piece for Jim's mirror and two 8' pieces for mine) I measured the mirrors and had all the trim cut by a nice man at Lowe's, it fits in the car much better that way.
-a tube of Mirror Mastic Adhesive*, it's near the mirrors at lowe's not near the liquid nails, found that out the long way
-caulk gun 
-paintable caulk
-whatever paint you like, a roller to apply said paint (I used panda white and a small foam roller)
-a level 
-measuring tape
-light sandpaper 
-some item to help you hold the mirror in place (more on this later)
-small fruit smoothie from McDonald's, this may not be necessary for everyone, but I needed it to keep Oliver calm while hunting down the goods at Lowe's.  (he finished it before I even located the adhesive, a medium next time) 

Prior to this adventure Oliver and I spent two hours playing at an indoor place space, this earned me a three hour nap.  Working with high powered adhesive isn't meant for a two year old, my brain cells are even hurting a little.  

-Paint all the boards.  Be sure to paint a strip on the back because it will be reflected in the mirror.  If any of the boards have rough cut edges you can easily sand it smooth.
-While the boards are drying take some time to search around your house for something that can help hold the board in place while the adhesive cures.  These plank blocks worked perfectly for me.   

-Once dry, add some adhesive to the back of the board that you will be using for the bottom of the mirror, not too close to the edges, because you don't want it to seep out when you press it on to the mirror....I may have learned that the hard way.

-Press the board on to the mirror, and adjust it to line up with the bottom and sides of the mirror, add your supports to help hold the board in place.  Check with a level to make sure all is correct. 

-Once I had the bottom board in place I moved on to the boards for the sides, using a level to make sure they were straight.  Last I put on the top.  

-Caulk and paint the seems for a slightly more seamless look.

According to my Mirror Mastic tube it takes 24 hours to gain 30% of its holding power.  So is that 72 hours for 90% of its strength?  Whatever, I left those little planks in place for four days...just being safe.

Budget breakdown
-I already owned the tools and paint
-trim $17.00
-caulk $2.50
-adhesive $4.88


the before


after 



*Disclaimer, the adhesive is powerful and with it comes a powerful smell.  I kept Oliver out of our bathroom for a few days, the windows were opened during the day, and the door stayed shut.

I put off this project for a while.  I thought it would be too hard.  I thought that the clips would get in the way.  I was wrong, so easy.  Really easy.

Come on, that totally looks better! 


P.S. If your mirror can be seen on the side you will need to add some sort of trim around it to conceal the edge if the mirror.  Jim's is between two walls and mine is between a wall and a window, so we didn't need to worry about that. 

10 comments:

  1. AHHHH!! It looks so good! I too poo-pooed how much better a framed mirror would look in our bathroom, and it changes the room completely! Just looks so much cleaner, more intentional, etc. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that a lot! So does this adhere to your, "dude, just get it done already?" project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but it needed it's own post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, thanks for sharing! =) Kathy (& Amanda & Tessa)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. We have a double vanity and I found one on pinterest that has shelves built into the middle....needless to say, it's not high on the "we can get it done" list! This looks so much easier for our other JoCo blah bathrooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I came over from YHL. This is definitely on my list of things to do. Glad to hear it's so easy, because it makes a huge difference in the look of the room. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way the frames completely change the space. Your bathrooms are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! We're planning a similar project in our guest bathroom rehaul. Great job, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete