Vlad picked us up this morning at 8:00. I find it challenging to sit in silence for three hours, but I also find it challenging to communicate in Russian so I keep quiet. The drive is completely different than August. Sure it's the same direction, same roads, but totally different. Vlad makes the drive better, because unlike Sergei I think he enjoys living and finds his thrills elsewhere. The weather makes the drive worse. In August it was amazing. Crisp, clean and 65 degrees. Now it is just smoke. Many country homes are heated with coal and lets just say it's not the clean burning kind.
We arrive at the orphanage and are told to sit in these chairs in the reception area. The receptionist calls for our child and then looks at some vacation photos on the computer with another woman. After a few minutes we hear a cranky child out in the hall then the door opens and in pops a small toddler, small but bigger than we expect and back out he goes. Wait was that him? It was too fast. I thought I would recognize him. I didn't think he would change that much in six months. A few minutes later the door pops open and the caregiver walks our babe in. She holds his hand and he walks, what a big boy! We recognize him right away, he is wearing the same outfit we left him in which is both joyous and sad all in one. Joyous to think how sweet it is that they remembered that we left that for him, but sad that six months have passed and the pants are only a little short. It's okay buddy, I'm a really good cook.
I pass my coat and things off to Jim and pick him up. We sit back down and wait for instructions. I rub his back and admire the ever so slight mullet that is beginning. Our translator is still with another family but the receptionist motions that we follow her down the hall to the music room. It's not nearly as fun as the room we were in last time, but that's fine. She points to the TV and keyboard piano and says no. Oh well.
We sit down to play. Stacking cups seem to be the most exciting. Put them together, take them apart, repeat, throw them around the room, retrieve. Snuggle, watch him walk, read a book, play some more and then our translator comes in and says she will be back with the doctor. Eventually, the doctor arrives. It's not the same doctor as last time because she has to be at court or something. This new doctor gives us the necessary updates. They say we need to be all knowing about his medical information so we can convey it to the judge and she will then believe that we know what we are doing.
The doctor leaves and the translator says that the caregiver will be back soon to get him. We are sitting on the floor and he suddenly throws himself backwards. My cat like reflexes, as tested by that neurologist in Moscow, send my hand out to catch his head before it slams on the hard floor. Wonder if a similar incident caused the shiner on his forehead.... I pick him up as the caregiver walks in. Jim gives him some love as they will not see each other for awhile now and I pass him off.
A positive result from court and a waiting period of ten days, that's all.
Best wishes for court tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteRead it with tears in my eyes. This was the first of two posts I was waiting for! (Next most anticipated post: "The Boy is Officially Ours!!!")
ReplyDeleteLove you guys! WOW, THAT WAS A LOT OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!
So far so good! We're keeping the prayers rolling and thinking of you both every day. The news of the Moscow bombing just now has us wondering about Jim's return trip. Hopefuly it will be of just a minor inconvenience.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!
Bob & Mary
So happy that you are reunited. Good luck with court!
ReplyDelete