Two and a half weeks before we leave for Kemerovo. I've done this before. Only traveled once but planned 3 trips, so it's old and familiar. For me the most nervous I get is around obtaining a visa. See the cost of a visa depends on the processing time needed, less time equals higher cost. The agency we work with has a ten day (business days of course) processing time or a five day. With the New Year's holiday most businesses were closed Friday making it impossible for me to contact our travel agency and be reassured by Natasha that everything would be fine. Not wanting to wait for tomorrow I just went for it and sent out our applications and passports. There is just something unsettling about sending your passport out into the world without you, or maybe it's just me. Now everything has always worked out and it's always been on time, but it's just hard waiting until that last day before you fly out to get your passport back.
Jim has a different stress. It's cold in Siberia, like really cold. I'm not sure what Jim has pictured in his mind but I think he believes he needs to go hunt and gather meat and berries or something. I'm pretty sure we are not going too far in the outdoors and if we do I plan on walking quickly. He is going a little nuts trying to find the proper cold weather gear. He is going to be there for maybe a week before he returns to "warm" Kansas. He is not the one staying for almost a month!! Anyway, we managed to collect a few things we hope will help.
I got a pair of Uggs this afternoon. Not really a huge fan of how they look, but gosh they are cozy. Picked up a couple pairs of wool socks. I was nervous about the wool sock purchase thought they would be itchy and uncomfortable, but wow they are awesome. Wool sock technology has really come a long way. Just stood out on my concrete front steps with one wool sock and one lame sock, amazing. Plus since my feet are so small I could buy them in the kid section, which saved some cash. Jim found some things for himself on amazon. Some layering pieces that seem like they will help him with his hunting and gathering and I ordered wool tights, because I just can't bring myself to wearing long underwear.
So excited for you guys!! Just remember to dress in layers and bring some clothes that you'll be comfortable in while indoors. Everywhere we went last year was VERY HOT inside - I mean hot. You'll be thankful to have a thin sweater or knit shirt when you are visiting the baby home. Aside from being emotional and nervous, which will make you warm, it's just plain hot inside!! Can't wait to follow your journey!
ReplyDeleteTrisha, You will need every bit of it!! I've never experienced cold like that!
ReplyDeleteBuy the long underwear... it is so worth it. Not that I've been to Siberia... but the streets of Boston seem pretty close sometimes. ;-)
ReplyDeleteYay! So excited for you. Can not wait to hear more about your time in (cold) Russia. So crazy to me that this is the weather I was worried about and it was 100 degrees when we were there.
ReplyDeleteI never thought I would be so excited about someone buying wool tights. It just makes it so much more real. I am bursting with excitement for all three of you. I will be praying for your safe and successful trip and that everything falls into place as smoothly as these things can.
ReplyDeleteYeah, on the trip! I've heard that long underwear has also come a long ways, so you might be surprised!
ReplyDeleteIt was 100 when we were in Moscow in August. But when you think Siberia you think snow and cold, so I'm are happy to see it in its glory...at least that's what I'm telling myself.
ReplyDeleteSO excited that you are planning for your return trip! Finally! Yes, long underwear are a must. And get some of those hand and feet warmers just in case. Warm waterproof boots are a must too as you never know when you may need to walk. Yay - so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteAs Wendi said....great to dress in layers because it is very hot inside everywhere!!! When we went to Vlad last year in early Feb....our luggage was lost for 3 days so we only had the clothes we traveled in. If you can, pack a couple extra layers in a travel carryon bag just in case! :) I also got Uggs for our trip and they were so nice and cozy warm and I too had tights instead of long underwear!!! And North Face....oh that stuff is so nice and snuggly warm...hats, scarves and gloves a must! Full snow suit for your little one and also we had bought these really warm leggins for our son last year while we were there on our 2nd trip to keep him warm as well!!! So exciting!!!
ReplyDelete