Thursday, February 3

russian food

Every morning when I go down to breakfast the TV is on some news channel. At about 8:05 the news is finished and there is some food show on. The show starts out with a vote. People are milling around a grocery store and sampling food (sounds familiar). One time it was different kinds of frozen pizza, yesterday it was butter, and today it was kielbasa. After they come up with a winner this chef guy makes something using the winning ingredient. Homemade pizza one day, some roasted chicken with an herbed butter yesterday, and today he made and open faced kielbasa, pickle, and cheese sandwich (finally something Russian)

Can't say I've ever really made any Russian food at home, but thinking I could give it a try, eventually. Probably not kielbasa, pickle and cheese sandwiches, but maybe something below...

Pelmeni


Russian PelmeniPelmeni are Russian poached pasties that have a meat filling.

Ingredients:
2 c flour
1 c milk or water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 eggs
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 onion
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. Mix the meat and chopped onion, salt, and pepper, add a bit of milk. Reserve.

2. Mix flour with eggs and milk, salt and oil until a soft dough forms. Knead on floured surface until dough is elastic.

3. Take some dough and make a "sausage" (1 inch in diameter). Divide into pieces (1 inch thick). Roll each piece so that each is 1/16 inch thick.

4. Take a glass or a cup (2 inches in diameter) and make rounds with it's help on the dough. Fill each round with 1 teaspoon of the meat, fold into half-moons.

5. Pinch edges together and connect the opposite sides. Pelmeni can be frozen to be cooked later, or cooked immediately.

6. To cook pelmeni, boil a large amount of water, as they can stick to each other. Salt water. Carefully drop pelmeni into boiling water. Don't forget to stir them from time to time. Boil for 20 minutes.

Note...
I would boil them for half the time and then saute them in olive oil

Apple Babka


Ingredients:
14 oz apples
10 oz bread
1 c milk
1 ea egg
3 tbsp butter

Method:
Peel apples and cut out cores, cube and sprinkle with sugar.
Slice a half of bread without crust finely (0.5 cm)
Cube another part of baread and dry a bit in the oven.
Whip milk with eggs and sugar and soak bread slices in the mixture.
Grease a pan with butter and arrange a half of bread slices tightly on it.
Combine apple cubes with bread cubes, add cinnamon to taste, fill in the pan, cover with the rest of bread slices and bake in the preheated oven. and sugt

I saw the chef I TV make something like this a few days ago and he used a spring-form pan, so I would recommend that.

Check out this site for a hundreds more recipes.



1 comment:

  1. the meat filled pastries look YUM!! I may give them a try. I am not a great cook but I love trying! Just a couple of more days!!!!

    ReplyDelete