Thursday, February 10

tub is not torture

Today we were told to stay at the apartment. A doctor was coming at 7:30 to do a check up on Oliver. Our paperwork was being submitted to the US embassy, and we needed to be here in case they had to call with questions. And Vlad was coming to get my passport to be registered. So don't leave, got it.

instead of leaving we enjoyed the view



played hide behind the door


and did some light housework

When preparing for the adoption we read some books and took some online classes about the challenges that kids from orphanages might face. One issue is bath time. I'm not exactly sure what goes on during bath time at the baby house, maybe I don't even want to know, but it can't be fun if 90% of them a scared of it when they leave. I hoped Oliver would be different, but I quickly learned he is not. At our hotel in Kemerovo there was only a shower and I turned it on a nice easy stream and he ran crying from the room...it was the first I heard him cry. I decided to forget that and wait until we were at the apartment with a tub.
Now that we are at the apartment operation "tub is not torture" is in full effect.
Today I put Oliver in the baby carrier and we walk around the apartment, we go in the bathroom and turn on the sink water so I can wash last nights inner off one of his shirts. I sit down on the edge of the tub and let him stick his hand under the water. Eventually we turn so we are facing the tub and sticking his hand under the tub water (it's the same water the faucet just turns to either go in the sink or the tub..brilliant) I take him out of the baby carrier and take of his socks so he can put his hands and feet in the water, still sitting on my lap. You can follow the rest of the story in the photos.

standing on his own in the tub




good enough for day one





12 comments:

  1. So sweet! Our daughter hated baths too but not for long. We bought a snug tub (small blow up tub that goes inside big tub) and let her play in it in the family room first. Just keep letting him play like you are doing and eventually he will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius! Love how he is all nice and wet in the last photo! What a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so adorable!!! Unfortunately our Matthew still does not like baths. He has been home for just shy of 1 year and still will NOT sit down in the bath tub!! We have tried different things and NOTHING seems to work so count your blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is such a cutie! I like the way you are introducing him to pleasant experiences with the bathtub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's so beautiful! Great bathtub 101!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! Love the pictures too. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our princess was afraid of bath time also..but we got an inflatable duck and lots of bath toys and now she cant wait to take a bath! Give it time...great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so adorable. When we got home, Ava took a bath in the kitchen sink, and loved to play with the water coming out of the faucet. Now, no problems at all, loves baths and showers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bath time was torture for Marina and mommy for weeks! Looks like you are way ahead of the game already if he will play with the water. In a few weeks you'll have to pull him out of the tub because he'll never want to get out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the tub issues, but it sounds like you're handling things just fine! For some reason, I love the "hiding behind the door" pic a lot!

    ReplyDelete