I have always had bad seasonal allergies. Have you ever had that prick test on your arm or back? I had that done when I was 10 and the pollen and ragweed took over a huge expanse of my back covering up a number of other potential allergens. I like winter because, 1. all the pants die! (well sleep) and 2. even if I get sick and it lasts a week, it's still better than seasonal allergies that last all spring, summer, and most of the fall. A friend of Jim's was visiting this winter and asked if we were against tissues, as we didn't have any tissue boxes around. Tissues? In the winter? No, that's the only time I don't need them.
On 10 o'clock news they just said this spring the allergies are going to be wore than they have been in the last decade. Oh, that sounds just lovely. Then they said the seasonal allergies may be so bad that people will have problems with certain fruits and vegetables. It's not a food allergy but a sensitivity. The bad news is, I have already had that problem (about 7 years now) and for me it's a year round issue. Certain fruits make my mouth and throat all kinds of itchy and my lips puff up. No apples (only granny smith), no cherries, no peaches, plumbs, apricots, nectarines, no avocado, and no bananas defiantly no bananas, and no noshing on raw walnuts or almonds.
I have always heard that if you "came" with allergies you will out grow them sometime. I had an awful milk allergy that I outgrew. Could this be the year I outgrow all these other allergies....or just some of them.
Don't recommend medication, I won't take it. I've tried a number of medications and even allergy shots. I don't like taking medication and none of them really worked enough to be worth it. I have my own methods that help me get through it...
-pray for a random deep freeze mid June
-drink a ton of water
-mints, specifically altoids
-neti pot
-avoid opening the windows of my home, specifically when the flowers and trees come back to life
-carry tissues everywhere
-stand clear of all lawn mowers in the mowing position better yet if I hear a lawn mower in the neighborhood I should really just stay inside.
-pray we move back to Boston where we had no yard, there were no yards in sight, only minimal trees on our block, and we could walk to the beach in 20 minutes or less. Pollen doesn't live in the ocean.
Please feel free to share your home fixes for seasonal allergies
I like it when all the 'pants' die.... via los skirts! :) -just being a meany. :) Oh, and if it makes you feel better... my allergies have already started up too. No me gusta!
ReplyDeleteGet some locally made honey. The bees process nectar from the plants that are making you sick and give you something like an immunization against the allergens.
ReplyDeleteWhat you are talking about is called "oral allergy syndrome" - Scott has it too. I totally agree with local honey but it has to be raw to do the trick. I also read recently that the herb butterbur works very well too but I haven't tried it out yet.
ReplyDeleteAll the allergy sufferers in our family change clothes as soon as they come in from the outdoors or (even better) take a shower, so that we aren't dragging the pollen all over the house or continuing to breathe it in.
Hope you survive the season!