Saturday, February 11

on hold, again?

When I read these Russian adoption blogs I always think that the people that went in years prior to us had it "easy."  I would read the time line on the side of their pages.  Under a year from start to finish, an 11 month old, 10 day wait waived....amazing.  Now I look back at our process compared to those ahead of us and I know we had it "easy."  Two canceled trips, adoption by US citizens canceled, and moving mid way through the process...not a problem.  It's getting more difficult as time goes on.  

My friend Nancy texted me (I have text now!) and said she heard the end of an NPR story about Russian adoptions being canceled to US citizens again.  I love that my friend's ears now pop up when they hear adoption news!  I agree with Nancy, who would spend all the time and money to adopt a child and then be abusive to them, even abusive to the point of death.  Just seems so foolish.  There are ways out of an adoption that didn't "work out."

I tried to search around to see what she was talking about, but couldn't find anything this morning.  Then Jim emailed me a small article about what might be going on.  Just like when adoptions were canceled before it looks like stuff is put on hold until Moscow and Washington can decide on what can be done.  The article even mentions having a Russian monitor visit the home of the adopted child.  I get it.  I understand what they are trying to do.  You want to make sure that babies leaving your country are safe and cared for, after all international adoption is the last choice....just above aging out of the orphanage system.

I know Russia has been trying, but I think they need to work harder on the culture of children in their country.  Oliver is a perfectly amazing Russian child living in America and he would have been perfectly amazing living in Russia, had a Russian family given him a chance.  I'm NOT making excuses for the 17 dead children that the article mentions, there is no excuse for abusing or killing a child, but I know that the stats of children living a long fulfilling life after aging out of the orphanage system is pretty bleak.

We are just going to keep up with our post placement reports, taking all opportunities to brag to Russia about how awesome our kid is.  Prayers for anyone who is currently in the process and facing this hold, things will work out, because they have to. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I used to think I had it tough because I started with Kaz, they closed I waited and then I switched and started all over.  When I look at my Russia timeline...  I registered in Russia in Jan 2011 and my adoption was over and we were home October 1.  No 10 day wait, no hiccups, very straightforward.  I didn't even have to run around Russia signing forms or anything.  I was super blessed! Now, this 30 day wait... That's tough and the requirements are only going to get more tough.  I don't plan on adopting again.  But I'll pray for those that are in process now and in the future that the process finds a way to run smoothly and consistent.

    I know Russia has the best interest of the children in mind, but I agree with you... something needs to be done to ensure that the future of the children who are not adopted and phase out of the system, isn't so bleak.

    I'd gladly welcome a Russian representative in my home to see how much better things are in my home than in her little orphanage.  Vera was constantly sick in the orphanage.  I mean all.the.time.  In court they duscussed this and I even worried a little that there was some underlying issue.  The day I got her, I had to sign a paper saying she was not sick.  I signed and walked to her class to get her.  We got in the car and 5 min into the drive, cough cough.  SICK little girl.  She was sick for almost a month off and on.  But she hasn't had a cold since! 

    I am looking forward to sending off the updates.  I want Russia to see that the majority of parents love and care for their child(ren).  Anyway, I have gone on long enough!  

    ReplyDelete